Latest Message: 1 hour, 22 minutes ago
  • Klassh : >.>
  • Klassh : No.
  • axbxixr : lalala? :D
  • Klassh : la
  • Klassh : lala la
  • Klassh : Tralala lala
  • Klassh : The name of which eludes me.
  • Klassh : Are we talking those hollow muffin things?
  • tiggers2 : it is pretty good depending on who makes it
  • tiggers2 : really Red? it is just that. biscuits with a meat gravy.

Got a question? Post it on the forum. In here it'll be lost.

Live Bookmarks

Polls
What style of martial arts do you study?

Push-ups

Related Forum Topics:
Looking for BJJ club in Ottawa
Fight Club
SKIF club in LA area?
Kendo club Near Laurel, Maryland?
Kendo club Near Laurel, Maryland?
Faggot tries to abduct boy from karate clu...

Push-ups - 2007/02/01 19:20 I cant do push up-s on my toes. my club lets you do them on your nees if your under 16. I dont spose anyone knows a easier way to do them

Popular posts by karatedude
Fitness
slipping punches
Push-ups - 2007/02/02 03:55

Can you do several push up done regular?
I think it's better doing 5 regular pushups than 20 on your knees.

Popular posts by student
Knife defense techniques
What is Henka?
Aikido has been practiced for thous...
Push-ups - 2007/02/02 06:29 Push uos are bad for your shoulder, only the hips are designed to carry the body weight.
Try doing pushing hands instead, this will make the whole body stronger and healthier.

Post edited by: wushujohn, at: 2007/01/17 16:00
Push-ups - 2007/02/02 14:18

What is pushing hands

Popular posts by student
Knife defense techniques
What is Henka?
Aikido has been practiced for thous...
Re:Push-ups - 2007/02/02 19:01 Pushing Hands is a vast subject, normally practiced by those who do Tai Chi as a martial art, but also by those who practice Tai Chi for health.
It can be done soft or powerfully (though not rigid), it requires subtle use of the body, mind and Chi.
Altough not obvious, excellent for self defence training and strength of who;e body.
See http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2364979942037929212 for video.
I teach it, see www.taichinottingham.co.uk for more info.
Re:Push-ups - 2007/02/03 03:25 wushujohn wrote:
Pushing Hands is a vast subject, normally practiced by those who do Tai Chi as a martial art, but also by those who practice Tai Chi for health.
It can be done soft or powerfully (though not rigid), it requires subtle use of the body, mind and Chi.
Altough not obvious, excellent for self defence training and strength of who;e body.

So for those of us that do not speak whatever launguage that was the video just looked like two guys doing who knows what. Not to be disrepectful, but how is that going to help anyone.

Karatedude, push ups are to build strength. They are not suppose to be the easiest thing in the world, the trick is to work at it. Keep in mind it should not hurt. But you have to be willing to work hard if you want to improve. What I do is push ups until my pecs can't go anymore, take a 30 second break and go again.

Alternative

If you have problems doing push ups, hit the gym and work on your pec muscles. You don't have to do to much weight, just build up to it.
---------
Respectfully,

Jonathan

"Some of us are like a 10 speed bike; most of us have gears we never use." - Joe Eigo

"the greatest gift that martial arts can give is destruction of the ego"

"Life is just a mountain, and each martial art is just another way to the top."

www.arniscalgary.com

Popular posts by Jonathan
Filipino Martial Arts
Probability Of Being Attacked an...
Cross Training Arts
Re:Push-ups - 2007/02/03 05:35

Dear Jonathan,
The language is Chinese and if you watched the tape to the end, you would know the answer to your own question on how it could be of use. However pushing hands requires a great deal of skill and patience and self exploration, to find your own rootedness.
Remember that the way which can be followed is not the true way.
respectfully in Martial Arts.
Wushujohn
Re:Push-ups - 2007/02/03 05:38 wushujohn wrote:
Pushing Hands is a vast subject, normally practiced by those who do Tai Chi as a martial art, but also by those who practice Tai Chi for health.

I just watched this video - it is beautiful. The perfect harmony between the body, the movements and following the movements of the opponent makes this look gracious. Truely "Art" (with capital A) - thank you for linking to it.

Popular posts by axbxixr
Abir
Top Tips for street self-defence...
My Problem
Re:Push-ups - 2007/02/03 05:50 wushujohn wrote:

Dear Jonathan,
The language is Chinese and if you watched the tape to the end, you would know the answer to your own question on how it could be of use. However pushing hands requires a great deal of skill and patience and self exploration, to find your own rootedness.
Remember that the way which can be followed is not the true way.
respectfully in Martial Arts.
Wushujohn

Dear wushujohn,

The video is 7 minutes long, why would I watch it any longer than a minute if I don't understand what is going on.

I am sorry there was some miscommunication My question of "how it could be of use", was actually in response to the video itself, I was not saying that what they were doing had no use. But as a learning tool the video itself has little to no merit for those of us who have never taken Tai chi, and then on top of that you post your own link to promote yourself.

Karatedude was looking for advice and instead you gave him a link that promotioned your school. I teach kali, I could easily say that doing kali builds upper body strength, don't do push ups, come take Kali, but instead I gave him a more plausible answer.
---------
Respectfully,

Jonathan

"Some of us are like a 10 speed bike; most of us have gears we never use." - Joe Eigo

"the greatest gift that martial arts can give is destruction of the ego"

"Life is just a mountain, and each martial art is just another way to the top."

www.arniscalgary.com

Popular posts by Jonathan
Filipino Martial Arts
Probability Of Being Attacked an...
Cross Training Arts
Re:Push-ups - 2007/02/03 06:05

My statement that push ups are bad for you is backed up by the medical profession, not by any bias. I agree with axbxixr who wrote:
just watched this video - it is beautiful. The perfect harmony between the body, the movements and following the movements of the opponent makes this look gracious. Truely "Art" (with capital A) - thank you for linking to it.
If I do not understand something, I try to.
Respect to all Martial Arts.
Wushujohn
Re:Push-ups - 2007/02/03 09:53 Actually I can't believe push-ups are bad for you if done properly (first under supervision) as even the Mayoclinic advises on them. The problem starts with unfull-grown muscletone. Therefore I think it's better to listen to one's instructor

And yes: great beauty is found in some martialArts even just to watch... For some very relaxing

Post edited by: axbxixr, at: 2007/01/22 17:15

Popular posts by axbxixr
Abir
My Problem
Re:Push-ups - 2007/02/03 10:50

I actually find it hard to believe push-ups are bad for you also. But, I have not seen any information saying it is or isn't. So, I'll go with if they hurt don't do them. As far as getting your upper body stronger. I myself study karate. Actually, it is Okinawan Shorin-ryu. Even the style I study, although it is considered a somewhat soft style, my students build up strength in their upper and lower body by doing the techniques with power and more importantly focus. If, your a purple belt I assume you havent been doing karate for very long. I always forget belt ranks in other systems. I would just focus on doing more upper body techniques.
Did you ask your Sensei what you can do to improve?
Good luck.
---------
*Choices are what makes us who we are.*

*To see is to be decieved. To hear is to be lied to. But to feel is to believe.* Bruce Lee

*Like a bat in a birdless village.*

Popular posts by osrkd_101
Earning a black belt.
KATA is useful.
Phai vo Nhat nam - Mon vo co truyen...
Re:Push-ups - 2007/02/03 12:57 But have you heard of people getting injured by them (push-ups) then, if done undersupervision? I haven't and I know a lot of people doing it... (none of whom feel pain though exercising them)

Popular posts by axbxixr
Abir
My Problem
Re:Push-ups - 2007/02/03 14:09

I have heard of injuries due to push-ups from friends who have been training for over 20 years. However the non training friends I know of a similar age (mid 40's - 50's) have knee, hip and ankle problems and are not fit. So I would moderate my initial statement to: too many push-ups can be bad for you, but not training at all is even worse, try pushing hands for overall body strength.
Respect in Martial Arts.
WushuJohn
Re:Push-ups - 2007/02/03 14:34 Yes, of course, that's what I would think is quite logical being that with age no matter how hard you work out the muscle tone changes (on a slower level, but still) -

Also I heard about the difference it makes actually using your hands or fists while doing push-ups. Because I myself don't exercise that way I can't really certify for it, but it seems that while using your hands flat on the floor puts too much weight on the chest i/o the shoulder-parts - which seem to be not good for 'you'.

Popular posts by axbxixr
Abir
My Problem
Re:Push-ups - 2007/02/24 09:59 one of the girls in our school said its bad for under 18 girls to do proper push ups sumthin to do with the utaris or overys( spelling)but she could just b trying to get out of doing them not sure. if u work on your triceps and shoulders push ups will get easer

Popular posts by red
tournaments vs art
teaching
conditioning
Re:Push-ups - 2007/02/24 10:00 jst realised thats almost a month late heh heh

Popular posts by red
tournaments vs art
teaching
conditioning
Re:Push-ups - 2007/03/06 22:56 I mean depending on skill level. push ups on your knees are subject to be done by a women. and even she should learn how to do basic push ups.

If they hurt your toes maybe you should ask your teacher to allow you to wear a form of a wrestling sneaker during the exercise.

But I believe Push-ups are needed. builds A strong chest, back and shoulders. also they work the abs as well.

Just make sure you strecth before and after and take hot baths after hard work out sessions.

You will be fine as a martial artist you must got hrough some pain.

ush.

Popular posts by Machi_Ryu
MMA Should not have a weight Class!...
Fighting is Just Fighting
Cast out of dojo
Re:Push-ups - 2007/03/06 23:41 I donít have problems with push up's doing pushups is very easy to me. Sometimes it does hurt my shoulders. If itís hard for you to do push up's, like it was said before try Pushing Hands.

Post edited by: MiChElA91, at: 2007/03/06 23:43

Popular posts by MiChElA91
Why did you choose Ninjutsu?

Related Products:
   Tai Chi For Two: The Practice Of Push Hands
   Cold Steel - Fgx Push Blade I
   Cold Steel Fgx Push Blade Ii Knife