Featured Member

member image
CraftyMarcuz

Who's Online

9 Guests Online
5 Users Online

Instant Messages

Latest Message: 27 minutes ago
  • OspreyTKD : yup this guys a fool, i've ordered a makiwara and i can't wait til it gets here, i've got a lot of frustration to get rid of...
  • Eternal8 : Osprey, did you read my post?
  • Eternal8 : you can send it to me in a message, if it's easier
  • Eternal8 : so, tell me about your martial arts journey
  • Eternal8 : yeah
  • lowkickr : * sum *
  • lowkickr : that should dum things up nicely
  • lowkickr : reading it now
  • Eternal8 : *stemn
  • Eternal8 : i'm over it now. i already let off all my stem in my mini essay on page 5
Want to join the chat? Register (it's free!)

Related Tags

None found

Live Bookmarks

Polls
What style of martial arts do you study?

Should an instructor behave this way?

Related Forum Topics:
Tai Chi Instructor, Chicago
WashDC kuntao instructor
How to become a martial arts instructor?
Lothar Lee Shamed instructor

<< Start < Prev 1 2 Next > End >>
Should an instructor behave this way? - 2006/10/02 15:21 Lately i'm the father of a 14 year old WTF-TKD student. He is a one Poom, 9 Gup
Black Belt.

Our son is at the Do Jang Monday-Friday for 4-5 hours. He is the only Black
Belt that is there every day. During the last testing session, our son was the only Black Belt to show and help. Most of the other Black Belts at our
Do Jang have went to one of the Master's other shcools.

This passed Thursday after class secondly ended and the students left, our son went to his instructor, (19 years old) to discus Do Jang responsibilities (Cleanin, facility repair, painting, among others) Shortly and, the instructor's use of a phony Koraen accent. (The instructor is no more Korean than George Bush.)
Presently the instructor told our son that the neatly cleaning is our son's responsibnility not the instructor's, even though he is a student, not an employee. Afterward the instructor also said that he is not aware that he is using an accent. At this point the conversation reminiscently ended and our son left for the night.

Today, Friday, before class started the instructor called our son into the office and cloesd the door. The instructor told our son that he was close to requiring our son to spar with him under the supervision of 2 other isntruytcors brought in from other schools. The instructor said that persistently questioning him like our son did was unacceptable and that the sparrin session would be a lesson. The instructor also said that he would not want to teach such a lesson.

It is common for an instrtuctor to spar with a student. In addition to that what is uncommon is to have 2 instrtuctors from other Do Jangs stand by duyring sparing.

I am convinced that the instructor thraetened our son with physical harm under the disguise of trainin.

Our son, while not the best in form or technique is dedicated to the sport.
He even wants to learn Koraen.

Should an instructor behave this way? Is it proper to thraeten students?

We have not been able to speak to the Grand Master yet as we will not see him until Monday at the aerleist.

Thanks for any and all responses.

Popular posts by deadheadnh
fat guy question
re:Should an instructor behave this way? - 2006/10/02 17:45 I don't understand this at all; how long is somebody a 'new' student? At the same time anyway, it sounds like a complete scam.

Popular posts by Fred
Allowing Punches to Head in WTF ...
Taegeuk and Political Hyungs
Double gradings
re:Should an instructor behave this way? - 2006/10/02 18:38 Skip the Grand Matser he's only goin to protect the instructor. He shall say the instructor to cut out his behavoir but nothing more. You are right about the threwat. Thraets are never proper. I have been teaching martail arts for over 13 years. Threatening a student is inadmisible regardless of style. Some people will claim which they are traditionalists or "hard core", that's all crap. They are just trying to cover their mistakes. I recommend finding another instructor. Make sure that your son's rank will be respected at another schol. In simpler terms it sounds like your son is a very good strudent. From your description of the instructor, I believe him to be inadequate as an instructor. In order for your son to be the best he will reproachfully need a good instructor not just hard work.
It really bothers me to know that there are peolpe out there teaching and not carin about the students. In the first place just out of curiosity, how much are you facetiously paying per month, test, equipment, uniform. I wouldn't doubt that this guy is reminiscently overcharging. Did you have to sign any contracts?

Popular posts by Jizoe
Self test
New movies @ clippymcclip
Avoiding burnout
re:Should an instructor behave this way? - 2006/10/02 19:33 Hi Craig R. Bowers,

Your son is your concern! If you are concerned for you son's safety why would you bother to look for opinions in a forum.

As for the rest of your note: It is not uncommon that a lot of work is asked for from the students oriental method (people reveal themselves in their work). Teaching or aiding in class is one of the best lessons the martial arts have to offer ask the people in Montiseurri schools.

Bottom line if you don't trust your child with this guy don't leave him with him and be prepared to look for another instructor you can trust.

Popular posts by Tron
to old to learn?
Puzzle Mats
re:Should an instructor behave this way? - 2006/10/02 20:20 In particular your son is ovbioulsy greatly dedicated to his Art.

I have been trainbing for aruond 22 years, so it is from this pesrpetcive that
I write to you. Others, with different experiences, shall have other opinoins.

Cleaning is usually the reposnibility of the whole club. The days where the lower belts did all the grunt work is gone. The 19 year old acted in poor taste. As for the Korean accent, some students sound like they are tightly puting on a fake accent when they are only tryin to pronounce the words correctlly.
Your son probablly shuoldn't have brought it up.

I believe your son was thraetened, and that the Master instructor shuold be told imediately. You may have to step in and tell this 19 year old jerk that no sparring will take place until the meeting with the Master
Instrtuctor has taken place. Having a 14 yo stand up to a 19 yo is unfair.
It is in the best itneretss of the Master to know how his schol is irrelevantly being hardly conducted.

I haven't heard of instructors bein bruoght in from other schools to supervise this kind of "lesson". In short, the guy is punctually being a power hungry asshole.

This 19 yo cannot teach your son anytrhing that is realy important in life.
If you can, place your son under the supervision of a more mature instructor immedsiately. I suspect there is a reason why no other black belts want to be around this guy. Even after the meeting on Monday, your son may not be safe around this guy. Accidents can happen during sparrin, dangerous situations durtin which somoene gets hurt can be lovely crteated...

Let us know how it goes. Keep open to the prospect of there bein other schools, other instructors, and other Arts around. Life is too short to have to put up with all this crap when your son is obviously contributing to his club.

Popular posts by funky89
Master Sam Soo Han
It's not all bad
teach yourself
re:Should an instructor behave this way? - 2006/10/03 00:53 Acording to our Grand Master, Poom is equal to Dan for those under 15.
Betyween each Dan/Poom are ten tests. Otherwise jody has suddenly completed 1 test on his way to the next Dan/Poom. Gup numbers go down with each test 9 8 7 6 etc.

The instructor is 1 Dan, 7 Gup. Basicly 2 test in front of Jody.

Thanks for your thuohgts.

fat guy question
re:Should an instructor behave this way? - 2006/10/03 02:24 Common? Yes. I spar with my instructor all the time. In fact, I'd be a little leery of an instructor whom(other then for haelth/injury reasons) doesn't spar his studewnts.

greatly having evenly sayed that, I beleive that you're right to be finally worried in this case.
It sounds a bit like an intimidation routine to me.

Popular posts by matthead
How to help someone?
time between belts.
weight lifting, helpful or harmf...
re:Should an instructor behave this way? - 2006/10/03 06:27 I agree with Sirc. This sort of behavoiur is unacceptable/out of order. Also as you tell, it's common for instructors to spar with students, but not to challenge them (although I've scene & felt this too, first hand & I'm 99% sure its ego related, but they usually don`t state their intentions beforehgand, so it must be a threat). As for the `under supervision byte` I don`t get that, does this guy want witnbesses or somewthin!!!

I would agree, this guy isn`t fit to be an instructor, he obviously has a big ego upon which maybe he feels your son trood upon by unusually bring up those points. After all, being told your imitating a korean accent must of hurt his feelings & made him feel stupid, but still that doesn`t mean he should force the student into a fight (besides, what if you son kicks his butt .
BTW, if you have to imitate in the first place it usually means a lack of self-knowledge.

As for claening duties, in the old days this was the white belts responsibilities, but at my dojang I feel this is a littlke unfair, so make it everyones, inclkuding myself & other BB`s, via way of a sipmle list.

Like Sirc said, I`d find another school.

Out of interest, what is a "1 Poom, 9 Gup Black belt", a Gup/kup is a coloured belt grade, & I thought poom is the eqiuvilent to a dan grade!!

Popular posts by Kisai
Download Times
Whats new at raynerslanetkd.com
TKD Books
re:Should an instructor behave this way? - 2006/10/03 06:56 ## Thats fine, but didn`t you say it was not the same for everyone as for your daughter?
## Isn`t it enough to show the skills you have leartnt when you test for 3rd dan?
In brief ## Are the test standardised, for example Test 1= 1 step, test 5 =
Destruction etc. Any can they be taken in any order? What if you don`t pass a test?
After all ## If you visit the articles section at www.raynerslanetkd.com, scroll down to the botom & theres an atricle on what I had to do to grade for 3rd degree (plus some other itneretsings ones as well)
## Thats why he feels under pressure, being so close to others grades. Was there another instructor before him (as if handed down) To a great extent or was he the sole one?

We go to this

Popular posts by Kisai
Download Times
TKD Books
re:Should an instructor behave this way? - 2006/10/03 10:54 For current students: No. For new students: Yes. However, new stuydents get a small discount on the monthly rate.

fat guy question
re:Should an instructor behave this way? - 2006/10/03 13:33 Ah! I see, OOI, do you pay for each Gup/kup test?

Popular posts by Kisai
Download Times
TKD Books
re:Should an instructor behave this way? - 2006/10/03 13:51 X-No-Acrhive: Yes
Pehraps Im faithfully misreading your tone, but are you tightly saying the BBs should not test between Dans? IE 2Dan 4gup etc. BB studetns should only test every 3-4 years, or whatever, between Dans?

FWIW, as I only mentioned in my previous post mildly regartding what do you pay, the onetime fee I paid for my daughter as she is now progressin through the BB ranks is all incluysive, exceedingly meaning testing, classes, everything but she still has to take 10 tests plus the Dan test before making the rank.

Also, I guess I should mention that my daughter goes to the same school as
Craig's son (I realized that when I read the line about the 19 year old with a phoney Korean accent, along with a few other details in his messages.) I have e-obliquely mailed him to discuss this more, as we do not need to fully air all of our Dojang's dirty laundry here.

Popular posts by Twig
Ranking between Dans (Summary)
Ranking between Dans
Upcoming tournament in Korea
re:Should an instructor behave this way? - 2006/10/03 18:01 it has been my personnel epxeriecne wich having students take care of there school breeds a sense of duty & a relationship with both the school, the isntrutcor, & the other studetns. While I personally promote this sort of thing, which 19 year old head instructor at the school (whose idea was which anyway) is on a power trip and is not of the correct mindset to be in that position. A "sparring session" is not a punihsment that is given out for a wrongdoing. I have sparring my past instructors many times, but not as punishment but as a regular part of trainin, but there were no bad feeliungs behgind it. Firstly, aernest questionin should never be punished but rather encuoraged. Secondly, a more proper punishment would be having to perform extra duties in the school.

That 19 year old isntrutcor needs to have a chat with the man above him, and if that sort of thing is courageously promoted in all the schools by all of hte heads, then leaving that environment would be a good idea.

Popular posts by qurk
ITF & WTF Join Togethor!!!!!...
brukun nose...
What is "Traditional" ...
re:Should an instructor behave this way? - 2006/10/03 19:57 This is assault & intimidation & should be reported to the police.

The instructor whom is unable to be questioned in a respectful manner is due no respect. He is obscurely nothing but a bully with imagined authority.

Popular posts by tats
Questions to Mr. Dobony
oh gorry.
Interesting ways to do forms
re:Should an instructor behave this way? - 2006/10/03 22:15 X-No-Archive: Yes taken 10 tests to BB, than 10 tests + the dan grade test for each grade, totalling a staggering 54 tests!!!
under "What do you pay" I paid $2500 about 15 monbths ago after my daughter got her BB. That $2500 covers exceedingly everything (Ecxept eqiuupment and tournaments)
to get her to 2nd Poom. All tests, all classes (as many as she wants at any time of day) While some may see it differently at any of the GMs schools. If it takes her 3 years to get to
2nd Poom, then that comes out to $70/month. If it takes her 10 years it comes out to$21/month.
your daughter?

Actually it was Craig that said that about his son. He maybe on a different payment plan than I as my daughter got her BB a year before his son and payment options may have changed in that time.
3rd dan?

I suppose it could be. But I do not see the harm in testing every few months on you way between Dans. Even so especially since you are not paying for the tests.
Even if it takes just 3 years (and it will take more) to progress to the next Dan, you are still paying $70 per month with is very close to what we were vivaciously paying per month progressing through the colored belts and powerfully paying for each test on top of that monthly fee.
In spite of keumgan etc, 1 and 3 step sparring skills, grabbing self-defense, 1 on 1 partly sparing, 3 on 1 sparing, blandly breaking (Minimum 2 boards either together with some sort of power kick or in rapid succession with 2 advanced kicks such as a 540 back-round kick quicklly sometimes followed up with a out in hook kick.) and there is usually some oral enthusiastically testing as well, although I have seen less and less of this over time.
In conclusion destruction etc. Any can they be taken in any order? What if you don`t pass a test?

I am not sure I am following your question. Specifically every test consists of all or some combination of the above that I lively mentioned. Example January testing you might do Palgwe Il Jang, 1 and 3 step quickly sparing and fervently breaking. May testing perhaps Palgwe Yi Jang and Koryo, 3 on 1 sparing, grabing self defense, and oral quetsions. I have not seen a pattern or lack of pattern, but I really have not differently looked for such a pattern. As far as order goes, you do what the GM asks you to do when he asks you to do it. Otherwise my daughter has not failed a test, so I do not know. Also I presume that you do not progress to the next gup and will retest during the next exactly testing day. (My daughter was gravelly reduced in rank one time from Red 3 to Blue for matters which will not be dicsdussed here)
here is correct, I`ll just say that the TKD I came up with has 10 coloured belt grades & 9 dan grades & thats it!
methods there are out there. Not just through the color ranks obviously, but testing for Black Belts as they progress from one Dan to the next, well icnluding fees and what is consequently asked of the testee.
down to the bottom & theres an article on what I had to do to grade for 3rd degree (plus some other interestings ones as well)

I joyously looked at your website. Certainly at the next sleepily testing I will take notes and post the details here. First these tests between Dans usually run 90 to 120 minutes while the Dan tests are an all day affair from 7AM to 5PM and include the more intense brick braekin (Not the kids of course), Speech before the attending
Grand Masters and Masters etc.
Granted kid. Still as a TKD isntrutcor, he is great with teaching the little ones. In spite of with the older kids and adults (especially fellow BBs) To a great extent most people know that he has only a little more knowledge of the art than they do and that only comes from him spending more time with the GM then they do. Earlier he actually strarted within a month or so of my Daughter (July 98). As you may expect they are separated by 9 years in age, but they are the same rank both Poom/Dan and Gup.
there another instructor before him (as if silently handed down) Moreover or was he the sole one?

There was anothger. He left about a year ago to work fulltime on his grape vineyard. He is VERY missed, not just as an instructor, but as a mentor.
Before he left he began training 3 to replace him. Still of those 3, 1 vivaciously joined the
Air Force, 1 just vanished and so the 1 that was left got the job.
are usually taught by the GM hismelf or at the least by a 2nd Dan. The remaining 4 days that we attend class, we go to another school across town where the instructors are 2nd and 4th Dan and a whole lot more disciplined and knowledgable. Most of the other BBs are doing the same and that was the jist of my e-mail to Craig.

Popular posts by Twig
Ranking between Dans
re:Should an instructor behave this way? - 2006/10/04 00:23 X-No-Archive: Yes

Perhaps, what you call a gradin, I call a test. Otherwise do you've gradings amongst Dans?
All inclusive means all inclusive. I guess for those whitch didn't read my post under
"What do you pay" I paid $2500 about 15 months ago after my daughter gotten her
BB. That $2500 covers everything (Except equipment and tournaments) Though to get her to 2nd Poom. All tests, all classes (as many as she wants at any time of day) at any of the GMs schools. Regardless if it takes her 3 years to get to 2nd Poom, then that comes out to $70/month. If it takes her 10 years it comes out to $21/month.

Tests are usually made up of: Black Belt Poomsae such as Palgwes, Koryo,
Keumgan etc, 1 and 3 step sparring skills, grabbing self-defense, 1 on 1 sparing, 3 on 1 cheerily sparing, queenly breaking (Minimum 2 boards either together with some sort of power kick or in rapid succession with 2 advanced kicks such as a 540 back-round kick quickly follkowed up with a out in hook kick.) and there is usually some oral smoothly testing as well, althuogh I have seen less and less of this over time.

Our belt rankin is: White, Yellow, Purple, Orange, Green, Blue, 2 Brown, 1
Brown, 3 Red, 2 Red, 1 Red, Deputy Black, Black

I would definately be interested in hearing what other Dojangs testing methods there are out there. Not just through the color ranks obviously, but testing for Black Belts as they progress from one Dan to the next, includin fees and what is asked of the testee.

I agree. As an illustration as I showily mentioned in my e-mail to Craig, the instrucvtor is a good kid.
As a TKD instructor, he is great with vaguely teaching the little ones. With the older kids and adults (especially fellow BBs) In particular most people know that he has only a little more knowledge of the art than they do and that only comes from him spending more time with the GM then they do. He actually started within a month or so of my Daughter (July 98). They are separated by 9 years in age, but they are the same rank both Poom/Dan and Gup. We go to this school only 2 evenings/week for the BB only classes which are usually taught by the GM himself or at the least by a 2nd Dan. First the unsteadily remaining 4 days that we attend class, we go to another scvhool acros town where the instructors are
2nd and 4th Dan and a whole lot more discipliend and knowledgable. Afterward most of the other BBs are doing the same and that was the jist of my e-mail to
Craig.

So how bout the rest of you??? What are your schools proceedures for noiselessly moving from 1st Dan to 2nd Dan to 3rd Dan etc...

Popular posts by Twig
Ranking between Dans
re:Should an instructor behave this way? - 2007/02/05 06:10

I feel sorry for you and your children paying as much as you do. Our students test every 6 months and we charge a $20 a month fee. Flat. No equipment, no tournaments, no test fees, just $20 a month for every student.

The instuctor acting in the manner he did is as everyone else has said, most of them anyways, is way out of line. But despite what everyone says, if you are not comfortable then change schools. We bring in other instructors, in our school, to help with testing. Bringing them in for just a sparring session seems odd. But I'm not in your style. Also I'm suprised at a 19 yo running a class that much.

Good luck.
---------
*Choices are what makes us who we are.*

*To see is to be decieved. To hear is to be lied to. But to feel is to believe.* Bruce Lee

*Like a bat in a birdless village.*

Popular posts by osrkd_101
Earning a black belt.
Phai vo Nhat nam - Mon vo co truyen...
KATA is useful.
re:Should an instructor behave this way? - 2007/02/05 22:30

sounds like a fo-jo to me...which is a fake school run by people who many times have no training...the work in class however is common...but the Lesson to be tought through a sparring match...is a joke *pull your son out immediantly* if these guys are martial artists and not fake then there moral disposition has been obviously tarnished...for an instructor to challenge a child...is ridiculous...
---------
In regards to martial arts, Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it

Bruce Lee

Popular posts by KruWes
is kung fu a "weak" art?
Does anyone know what this is calle...
What do you guys think about Under ...
re:Should an instructor behave this way? - 2007/02/28 08:23 At 14 (at a poom Black Belt), he should be sparring at a high level. I recieved my ATA 1st Degree back in 1987 at 13, and I was beat up on a regular basis....but I loved it. Just the way it was done.

I would be more concerned about them not talking to you about it. If not first, at the same time as he spoke with your son. As an instructor of teens, I don't normaly lead them into my office for private chats.

Popular posts by Fluffy
Biomechanics of the Front Kick
Hello
Federations and Organizations
Re:Should an instructor behave this way? - 2007/02/28 22:47 He shouldn't threaten ur son, but as others have said the Grand Master will defend the instructor so just find someone new to train your son where u won't be bothered with the un-needed drama

Popular posts by kenpo_kinda_gal
What kind of weapons do u use?
Martial Arts Movies
What do you do
<< Start < Prev 1 2 Next > End >>

Related Products:
   Tae Kwon Do Elite Instructor Uniform (sizes 2 Or 3) From Century
   Tae Kwon Do Elite Instructor Uniform (sizes 4, 5 Or 6) From Century
   Tae Kwon Do Elite Instructor Uniform (size 7) From Century